Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Senior Project Update!

     Having recently changed my senior project there was a lot to be done in the last few weeks. I have changed my letter intent and gotten all the necessary paperwork signed. My old topic was on the importance of dental hygiene and has transformed into the differences between elder care. My specific topic has been the differences between in home care, by family or a professional or facility care.
     My mentor interview will be done this week and I have already constructed many questions that I want to ask my mentor. The more I research the topic the more interest I gain the topic. For example writing the mentor interview started slow, but the more I considered it the more genuine questions came up, things that I actually want to know.
     I would have never guessed that there are so many different methods of care by which to care for an elder. For my project I will be constructing a pamphlet of resources for elder care in the city of Napa. The different methods and facilities in Napa, as well as which facility uses which method. Prices and perhaps pictures will also be included in this pamphlet.
     My field work has consisted of working with the residents at Piner's Nursing home. Three days a week I am granted the opportunity to interact with them whether it be playing a game or just talking about life. I observe the type of care received at the nursing home as well as how well it follows the Eden Principle. In a nut shell the Eden Principle focuses on a healthy life avoiding medications that can inhibit a resident from interacting with others. The Eden Principle encourages that animals reside at the facility and that there are plants around. Attempting to gain a "homey" feel, or as close as they can get to one.

No comments:

Post a Comment